Atkins Search are looking to recruit an experienced Freelance Design Manager for a long-term contract on behalf of a UK Leading, Tier 1 main contractor. This role is to support the Design Lead and manage the design process for the delivery of projects.
The role is hybrid working and can be based out of the head office in South Birmingham or onsite in one of the projects you would be working on, depending on which location suits best.
A large, established national contractor with live projects throughout England. My client is well known with a fantastic reputation for delivering repeat government funded projects across the MOJ and MOD sectors. These are usually valued up to £10M and predominantly within refurbishments and small extensions to existing building.
The function of the Design Manager role will be to lead the design process, promote integration of disciplines and select, manage and appoint consultants to ensure that they perform in line with their deed and agreed scope of services.
You will be responsible for monitoring and reporting on design programmes and providing technical support to the bid process. In addition, you will be developing designs that utilise innovative techniques on multiple projects.
- Reading and interpreting drawings and technical specifications
- Management of specialist designers and managing others in your team
- Navigating design package software
- Identify your customers’ needs and expectations and strive to deliver them
- Present plans clearly, concisely, accurately and in ways that ensure understanding
- Constructively seek better alternatives
- Find practical ways to overcome barriers
- Set demanding but achievable objectives for yourself and others
- Balance multiple priorities and build consensus on the way forward
- Design manager experience with a main contractor
- Multiple, large-scale project delivery
- Experience of various forms of construction technology
- Construction related degree
- MOD Clearance desirable but not essential
- Competitive daily rates, paid weekly
- Long-term contracts from 6
to 12 months
- Potential to go temporary to permanent
Atkins Search act as an employment agency for permanent recruitment and an employment business for the supply of temporary workers. We specialise in Construction, Consultancy, Residential and Infrastructure recruitment, and service in the East and West Midlands, South Yorkshire, Staffordshire, Lincolnshire, Peterborough, and Northern Home Counties regions.